Rohit Roy is an Indian actor, writer director, and producer, who mainly works in Hindi TV serials. He is the younger brother of the Indian actor Rohit Roy and brother-in-law of Indian actor Sharman Joshi.
Rohit Bose Roy was born on Friday, 5 April 1968 (age 55 years; as of 2023) in Nagpur, Maharashtra, India. His zodiac sign is Aries. He spent his childhood in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
He did his schooling at St. Xavier’s School, Ahmedabad. He then pursued a Bachelor of Science (Major in Physics) at St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad. After completing his graduation, he wanted to pursue MBA at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan. However, his visa got rejected, and he could not pursue MBA.
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Rohit belongs to a Bengali Hindu family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Brothindranath Bose Roy, was a businessman, who passed away when Rohit was too young. His mother, Dolly Bose Roy, used to work as a tuition teacher. His elder brother, Rohit Roy, is a popular TV and film actor.
Wife & Children
At the beginning of his career, while he was working as an assistant director with the Indian director Kunal Kapoor, he saw the photographs of the Indian actress Manasi Joshi. Rohit then called her for the audition for an ad film. Gradually, they became friends and soon, fell in love with each other.
After dating for almost seven years, the couple tied the knot on 23 June 1999.
The couple has a daughter named Kiara Bose Roy.
The Indian actor Sharman Joshi is the brother of his wife Manasi.
In an interview, the Indian actress Tisca Chopra shared that she once dated Rohit Roy. However, when Rohit was asked about their affair, he denied it.
He started his career as an assistant director to the Indian film director Kunal Kapoor.
In 1995, Rohit made his debut as a TV actor with the Hindi serial ‘Tujh Pe Dil Qurban’ in which he played the role of Lt. Karan. The serial was aired on Sony TV.
He came into the limelight with the Doordarshan TV serial ‘Swabhimaan’ (1995) as Rishabh Malhotra.
Rohit then appeared in various Hindi TV serials like ‘Tujh Pe Dil Qurban’ (1995; Zee TV), ‘Kabhie Kabhie’ (1997; Star Plus), ‘Baat Ban Jaaye’ (1998; Zee TV), and ‘Sanjivani’ (2019; Star Plus).
Rohit has participated in various reality TV shows like ‘Nach Baliye Season 1’ (2005; Star One), ‘Yeh Hai Jalwa’ (2008; 9X), ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Season 6’ (2013; Colors), and ‘Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi Season 13’ (2023; Colors).
He has also hosted various Hindi TV shows such as ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Season 2’ (2008; Sony), ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Season 3’ (2009; Sony), ‘Dil Jeetegi Desi Girl’ (2010; Imagine TV), and ‘The Bachelorette India’ (2013; Life OK).
He has also hosted various awards shows.
While he was working with the Indian film director Kunal Kapoor, another film director Anant Balani met Rohit and offered him a lead role in the Hindi film ‘Jazbaat.’ In 1994, he made his Bollywood debut with the film in which he played the role of Vishal Shashtri.
He has appeared in many Hindi films like ‘Ankhon Mein Tum Ho’ (1997), ‘LOC Kargil’ (2003), ‘Shootout at Lokhandwala’ (2007), ‘Fashion’ (2008), and ‘Mumbai Saga’ (2021).
Rohit made his Bengali film debut with ‘Bhorer Alo’ (2011) as Subhankar Bose.
He has appeared in a few other Bengali films like ‘Mrs. Sen’ (2013) and ‘Chengiz’ (2023).
In 2018, he made his Gujarati film debut with the film ‘I.M.A. Gujju’ in which he played the role of Siddhraj Zala.
In 2022, he was roped in another Gujarati film ‘Keri.’
In 2019, he made his Kannada film debut with the film ‘Trivikrama’ in which he played the role of a police officer.
Rohit has also acted in a few Hindi short films like ‘Muqabala Hai Pyar Ka’ (1995) and ‘Broken Frame’ (2019).
Rohit has appeared in Hindi telefilms like ‘Humein Jahan Pyar Mile’ (1997) and ‘Fan Club’ (2011).
He has worked as a theatre artist in theatre plays like ‘Baba Saheb Musical’ and ‘Ovee.’
In 2020, he appeared in the Hindi web series ‘Locked in Love,’ which aired on MX Player.
In 2021, he appeared in the Hindi web series ‘Paper’ (Ullu) and ‘Sanak Ek Junoon’ (MX Player).
In 2002, he worked as a director in the Hindi short film ‘The Face 2.’ He also directed the segment ‘Rice Plate’ in the Hindi film ‘Dus Kahaniyaan’ (2007).
He worked as a director and producer in the 2008 Hindi TV series ‘Inside Bollywood with Rohit Roy;’ which aired on Zoom. In 2011, he worked as a producer in the Hindi film ‘Ek Din… Achanak.’ In the same year, he produced the Hindi Telefilm ‘Fan Club.’ Rohit has dubbed Hindi versions of various English films for the character Peter Quill/Star-Lord (originally played by Chris Patt) in English films like ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ (2017), ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ (2018), and ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ (2023). He has started a film production house ‘Magic Works Production.’ In 2020, he started a clothing fashion brand Rohit Roy Merchandise. He has also promoted various brands like Adda 52, Inja Wellness, and Thrive Co’s Youth Renewal Serum on his Instagram account. Rohit has been featured in TV commercials for various brands like Wakefit, Camay Soap, Dabur, and Breeze Soap.
He has also been featured in print advertisements for brands like Siyaram’s, Santogen Suitings, Club Shoes, and Vimal Clothing.
In 2018, Rohit was accused of sexual harassment by an anonymous journalist. On Twitter, a media person named Poulomi Das shared screenshots of the messages which she received from the journalist. One of her messages reads,
When I was 16, Rohite harassed me on several occasions since, trying to get me to kiss him. Including when his wife in the next room.”
However, when Rohit when asked about the allegations, he denied it and said,
I don’t even know what to respond. What is sad is, that they are diluting the actual cause. I don’t need why she had to write my name. I’m not planning to do anything. I’m not commenting (anymore). I don’t know what they will get. It’ll just derail the other process. Even you shouldn’t pay much heed to this.”
- 2006: Best Actor for the Hindi TV serial Virasaat
- 2006: Best Dressed Actor on TV
- 2006: Society Magazine Young Achiever’s Award
- 2020: Times Men of the Year Award
- 2020: Global Business Award
- 2023: Indian Television Academy Award for Contribution to Indian TV Industry
- 2023: Stardust 50th Anniversary Honours Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Entertainment Industry
- 2023: Pride of Bengal Award for Most Versatile Entertainer
- Indian Scout Bobber
- Indian FTR 1200
Lord Ganpati tattoo on right bicep
- Film(s): Rebel Without a Cause (1955), Deewaar (1975), Arth (1982), Zinda (2006)
- Song: ‘Chupke Se’ from Saathiya (2012)
- Book(s): The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and A Stone for Danny Fisher by Harold Robbin
- His family and friends lovingly call him Koko.
- At the beginning of his acting career, he used the screen name Karan Roy.
- In one of his Instagram posts, he shared that after he worked with the Indian actress Sushmita Sen in a Camay soap ad, people started assuming that they were dating.
- Rohit Roy is an animal lover. He used to own a pet dog named Zenga.
- He is often spotted smoking cigarettes and consuming alcohol.
- Rohit Roy has a passion for sports, particularly football. He is also associated with the Celebrity Cricket League (CCL) and has played for the Mumbai Heroes team. He also enjoys playing other sports like badminton and golf.
- Rohit Roy is a fitness enthusiast. He maintains a disciplined workout routine and follows a healthy lifestyle. He often shares fitness tips and workout videos on his social media platforms. In an interview, he shared that once he used to weigh around 92kg. He said that at the suggestion of Salman Khan, he decided to work on his body and lost around 14kg of his weight. He said,
Since I am 6-feet tall, it took me time to realise that the situation was so bad. But that changed overnight. Literally! Thanks to a final push from Salman Khan. It’s taken a good 18 months to reach this point. My food, my mental make up, everything has changed. Today, I am in better shape, physically and mentally, than I have ever been.”
- He has been featured on the cover of Expresso magazine.
- Rohit has walked the ramp for many popular fashion shows.
- Rohit Roy is a Vipassana meditation practitioner.
- He has been invited as a celebrity guest at various events.
- In 2022, he was featured on the September 2022 edition of the Pyar Foundation calendar.
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Rohit loves buying shoes and has around 160 pairs of shoes.
- Apart from acting, Rohit Roy is also a photographer.
- Rohit Roy actively participates in various philanthropic activities. He supports several charitable causes and organizations, working towards social welfare, education, and healthcare. He has been involved in initiatives to raise funds for underprivileged children and cancer patients.
- In addition to Hindi, Rohit Roy is fluent in English, Gujarati, and Bengali.
- Rohit Roy loves to travel and explore new places. He often shares pictures and videos from his travel experiences on social media.