Charu Shankar is an Indian actor, wellness and fitness expert, theatre director, and dancer. She came into the limelight for playing the role
Charu Shankar was born on Monday, 17 August 1981 (age 41 years; as of 2022) in New Delhi, India. Her zodiac is Leo. Charu attended Modern School in Barakhamba Road, New Delhi. She pursued Masters of Arts in English (Hons.) from Lady Shri Ram College for Women in New Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Charu’s father, Durgesh Shankar, is a former employee of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). Her mother’s name is Neelima Shankar. Charu’s younger brother, Varun Shankar, works as a counsel at a law firm in New Delhi.
Husband & Children
On 20 December 2010, Charu got married to Raghav Laul. Together, they have a son named Agastya, who was born on 31 May 2015.
Charu Shankar follows Hinduism.
Inclined towards acting and dancing from a young age, Charu acted in various school plays and dramas. While studying at Lady Shri Ram College for Women in New Delhi, she actively participated in the dramatics society, and subsequently, performed in various theatrical productions like Shiva Calling, Draupadi, Once Upon a Time, and many more.
In 2001, at the beginning of her career, Charu collaborated with the media house NDTV and hosted the morning show Dr Morepen’s Tango on NDTV.
She hosted a few other shows related to fitness like Workout Victim on NDTV MetroNation and The Perfect Body Built By Tech on NDTV Prime.
In 2016, Charu got associated with Wion, an Indian multinational English-language news channel, and she worked there till 2017.
In 2007, Charu made her acting debut with a brief appearance in the American comedy-drama film The Darjeeling Limited.
In 2010, Charu played the role of Rosiana in the Hindi short film Sleeping Awake, starring Ali Fazal. The following year, the film won the Best Foreign Film Award at the California International Shorts Film Festival. Additionally, the film was officially selected to premiere at the Davis Film Festival and Burbank International Film Festival. In 2012, Charu played a small role in the film The Reluctant Fundamentalist.
In 2015, she acted in the Hindi film Talvar. In 2020, Charu played a brief role in the Hindi film Love Aaj Kal, starring Kartik Aaryan and Sara Ali Khan. In 2022, Charu acted in the musical adaption of the 2001 film “Monsoon Wedding” in which she played the role of Pimmi.
In 2014, Charu made her television debut with the show Siyaasat in which she played the role of Mehrunissa on Epic TV.
In 2019, Charu made her digital debut with the web series Made In Heaven in which she played the role of Sia Mathur on Amazon Prime Video.
In 2021, she appeared in the web series His Storyy as Rafia on ZEE5. The same year, Charu played the role of Qutlugh Nigar Khanum in the web series The Empire on Disney+ Hotstar.
Later, she appeared in a few web series like Aarya Season 2 (2021) on Disney+ Hotstar, Delhi Crime Season 2 (2022) on Netflix, and Kaun Banegi Shikharwati (2022) on ZEE5. In 2022, Charu portrayed the former Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi in the web series Rocket Boys and its 2023 sequel Rocket Boys Season 2 on SonyLIV.
Charu appeared in various advertisements for popular brands like Fortune Oil, Cadbury Chocolate, Metro Shoes, Mirinda, Urban Clap, Tanishq, Amazon Prime Video, Britannia, Ikea, and many more.
- Charu follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- In 2001, Charu was appointed as a dance instructor at Danceworx, a dance training academy, owned by an Indian-Australian choreographer Ashley Lobo.
- Being a fitness expert, Charu launched Janani Wellness Studio, which provides online classes regarding childcare support to pregnant women and young mothers.
- In July 2008, Charu was appointed as a Global Instructor with Reebok International.
- who designed a host of programs for Maternity well-being & General Health for the Hospital.
- Charu is an AFPA-certified pre and post-natal fitness specialist and a certified ACE trainer.
- Charu is often spotted consuming alcoholic beverages with friends at various parties and events.
- Charu is an avid dog lover and she has six pet dogs; a few of them are Langru, Frodo, Cheekoo, Golu, and Meenu. In an interview, Charu revealed that she met her husband while rescuing a dog and said,
My husband and I met while rescuing a dog. We have seven dogs and love pampering them.”
- Charu is fond of travelling, exploring new places, reading books and novels, painting, and trying new adventure sports.
- In 2017, Charu was appointed as the head of the well-being department at Rosewalk Healthcare, a maternity hospital in New Delhi. During her stint as the head of the well-being department, Charu designed and launched various classes and workshops for improvising the health of new mothers like prenatal exercise classes, diet consultations, lactation and breastfeeding support, well-being sessions, birth preparation classes, fit new mum programs, and baby sleep routine class.
- In 2017, Charu hosted the DLF Cybercity event in Chennai.
- On 3 August 2019, Charu was invited as a chief guest at the daycare Little Millennium in Jawahar Colony, Faridabad, Haryana.